Whether you’re an experienced camper or new to the world of sleeping under the stars, there are always ways to make your camping trip more fun. Here are 35+ ideas to get you started.
Camping Activities for Adults and Kids
One way to add excitement to your camping trip is to try new activities for camping. If you’ve never been camping before, pitch a tent in your backyard to get a feel for it. Then, when you’re ready to venture out, try camping in a different location, such as a national park.
There are plenty of options if you’re looking for ways to entertain yourself while camping. If you’re camping with others, play games like volleyball or badminton. Or, if you prefer to spend time alone, bring a book or your journal and spend some time writing or reading in the great outdoors.
There are also plenty of opportunities for exploring while camping. Take a nature hike and see what kinds of plants and animals you can find. Or, go for a swim in a nearby lake or river. Whatever you do, make sure to have fun and enjoy your time camping.
35 Activities for Camping
Assuming you want a list of 35 fun things to do while camping:
1. Make a fort out of blankets and chairs.
2. Have a pillow fight.
3. Tell ghost stories.
4. Go on a nature hike.
5. Collect leaves and flowers.
6. Skip rocks on a lake.
7. Go fishing.
8. Go swimming.
9. Make s’mores over the campfire.
10. Stay up late and look at the stars.
11. Roast marshmallows.
12. Play tag.
13. Play hide and seek.
14. Have a water balloon fight.
15. Climb a tree.
16. build a campfire
17. Toasting marshmallows
19. Taking hikes
20. Going fishing
21. Campfire stories
25. Collecting rocks
26. Playing frisbee
27. Drawing with chalk
28. Making homemade pizzas
29. Scavenger hunts
30. Water balloon fights
31. Have a bonfire
32. Make your own s’mores
33. Go on a hayride
34. Go for a bike ride
35. Take a nature walk
2. Have a picnic
Having a picnic is one of the best things you can do while camping. It allows you to enjoy the great outdoors while still being able to enjoy some of your favorite foods. Here are a few tips to make sure your picnic is a success.
First, choose a scenic spot for your picnic. A spot with a view of the lake or a beautiful meadow is perfect. Spread out a blanket and set out your food. Don’t forget to pack drinks, napkins, and plates.
Next, enjoy your food! This is the time to sit back, relax, and savor the moments. Take in the fresh air and the beautiful surroundings. If you brought along a book or some music, now is the time to enjoy it.
Finally, clean up your picnic area before you leave. This includes picking up any trash, repacking your things, and making sure the area looks as it did when you arrived. By leaving no trace, you’re ensuring that future campers can enjoy the spot as much as you did.
Go on a hike
Hiking is a great way to explore the great outdoors while getting some exercise. There are many different trails to hike, so there is sure to be one that is perfect for you. Before you head out, check the weather so you can dress appropriately. Also, be sure to bring plenty of water and snacks, as well as a map of the area.
Once you have everything you need, it’s time to hit the trail. Start by choosing a trail that is the right level of difficulty for you. If you are new to hiking, starting with an easy trail is a good idea. Once you find a trail, follow the signs and markers to stay on the right path. If you get lost, don’t worry, just retrace your steps back to the last marker you saw.
As you hike, take time to enjoy the scenery. Listen to the birds singing and the leaves rustling in the breeze. If you are lucky, you might even see some wildlife. Be sure to take plenty of pictures to capture the memories.
When you reach the end of the trail, take a moment to rest and enjoy the accomplishment. Then, head back the way you came and enjoy the hike all over again.
There’s something special about spending a night under the stars. When you’re camping, you have the perfect opportunity to stargaze. Here are some tips to make the most of this experience.
First, find a spot away from the campfire and any other sources of light. The darker the better. Then, lie down on your back and look up. You may want to bring a blanket or something else to lie on to make yourself comfortable.
Take your time and enjoy the view. Don’t worry if you can’t identify all the constellations. Just relax and take in the beauty of the night sky.
If you’re feeling adventurous, you can even try to do some stargazing without looking up. Find a dark spot and focus your gaze on a point in the distance. After a while, you may start to see faint images of stars and other celestial objects. This is called “starlight scatter” and it’s a fun way to see the stars without even lifting your head.
What’s a campfire without s’mores? This classic camping treat is easy to make and everyone loves it. Just toast some marshmallows over the fire and sandwich them between two graham crackers with a piece of chocolate. Yum!
If you’ve never had a s’more before, you’re in for a treat. This simple snack is made by toasting a marshmallow over a campfire and then sandwiching it between two graham crackers with a piece of chocolate. It’s so good, you’ll be making s’mores all night long!
Here’s how to make the perfect s’more:
1. Start with a good fire. You’ll need some hot coals to toast your marshmallows, so make sure you get the fire going before you start making s’mores.
2. Toast the marshmallows. Hold the marshmallow on a stick and hold it over the fire until it’s nice and gooey.
3. Add the chocolate. Place a piece of chocolate on one of the graham crackers, then top it with the toasted marshmallow.
4. Put it all together. Place the other graham cracker on top and press down gently. Now take a big bite and enjoy!
5. Make s’mores all night long! Once you’ve had one, you’ll want to make more and more. So keep the fire burning and the marshmallows flowing and you’ll have a s’morefest that everyone will love.
Build a fort
There’s something about forts that sparks the imagination. Maybe it’s because they’re a safe haven from the outside world, or because they’re a fun place to play pretend. Whatever the reason, building a fort while camping is a great way to pass the time. Here are a few tips to help you get started:
1. Find the perfect spot: When it comes to building a fort, location is key. Look for a spot that’s sheltered from the wind and has plenty of space to work with.
2. Gather your materials: Once you’ve found the perfect spot, it’s time to start gathering your materials. You’ll need things like blankets, pillows, towels, and sheets to build your fort. If you’re feeling really ambitious, you can even bring along some extra furniture to make your fort more comfortable.
3. Get creative: The sky’s the limit when it comes to fort design. You can keep it simple with a few blankets and pillows, or get creative and build a multi-room fort complete with furniture and decorations.
4. Make it your own: One of the best things about forts is that they’re YOUR space. So make sure to personalize your fort to make it feel like home. Add some of your favorite things, like books, games, or snacks, to make it truly your own.
5. Invite some friends: Fort building is more fun with friends! Invite your camping buddies to help you build, or make it a family affair.
6. Take your time: There’s no rush when it comes to building a fort. So take your time, enjoy the process, and create something that you’ll love.
Activities for Camping – Go fishing
Fishing is one of the most popular activities for camping because it can be enjoyed by people of all ages. All you need is a fishing rod, bait, and a little patience.
Fishing is a great way to relax and enjoy the outdoors. It’s also a great way to get exercise. And, if you’re lucky, you might even catch a fish or two.
There are a few things to keep in mind if you’re new to fishing. First, you’ll need to get a fishing license. Depending on where you’re camping, you may also need a permit. Second, you’ll need to choose the right spot to fish. If you’re not sure where to start, ask a ranger or another fisherman. They’ll be able to point you in the right direction.
Finally, you’ll need to baited your hook and cast your line. It may take a little practice, but it’s not difficult. And, once you’ve gotten the hang of it, you’ll be hooked on fishing.
After a long day of hiking and exploring, there’s nothing better than crawling into your tent and knowing you have everything you need for a comfortable night’s sleep.
However, camping isn’t just about sleeping in a tent. There are plenty of fun activities for camping to do while camping, whether by yourself, with friends, or with family.